Help us help families experiencing homelessness. You make a difference when you volunteer. Our supporters assist dozens of struggling families–all year long.
Volunteer: Share your time and talent
- Volunteers help us to sort donations, do filing and office work at our headquarters.
- On property sites, volunteers do yard work and landscaping. Others might clean, paint or update the apartments.
- Some volunteers offer child care services during group meetings for our participating parents.
- Download a file of potential ways you can share your time to help us assist families experiencing homeless. [DOWNLOAD PDF]
- Help with a rummage sale, answer telephones or pick up donations.
- Provide carpentry, plumbing or electrical work, and experience with handling financial information.
- Speak for us at group meetings, or share professional expertise with our staff and our participating families.
- The invaluable contributions of board and committee members extend, expand and support our work.
- We need support services from website developers, social media enthusiasts and people with public relations skills.
- Download a file of many ways you can volunteer at HMHI to help our families. [DOWNLOAD VOLUNTEER PDF]
Share your treasure
Your donations of money and useful goods make our work possible. They directly support families struggling to regain housing independence. Click this link to download a pdf of useful gifts for our families: “Gift Ideas That Keep Giving.” Here’s a list of especially helpful items:
- paper goods (toilet paper, napkins, paper towels, tissues)
- cleaning supplies (trash bags, laundry & dish detergent, multipurpose cleaner)
- personal hygiene products (diapers & pull-ups, personal care products: shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, deodorant)
- kitchen products and dining ware, towels and twin size sheets & blankets, food pantry items
- small household appliances (toasters, coffee pots), vacuum cleaners
- gift cards for practical needs of our participants. Stores they patronize include Target, HyVee, Walgreens and Walmart.
- new mattresses and box springs for twin sized beds
- new vacuum cleaners (bagless preferred)
We invite the public to “adopt” a participating family during the holiday season. Your family, business or community group may choose this as an outreach activity.
Quad City supporters contribute gently used furniture, appliances, clothing and household goods to our families. If we receive more than our families can use, we sell the surplus at semi-annual benefit sales. These sales support our participant programming budgets. Call the office at 563/326-1330 if you have items to contribute.
Unfortunately, due to limitations beyond our control, we can’t transport these items:
- antiques, appliances, boxes of household items, carpeting, china hutches, Christmas trees over 7 feet in height, computers, console or not-cable-ready televisions, desks, entertainment centers, furniture in need of repair or cleaning, hide-a-beds, King or Queen beds, used mattresses and used box springs, sectionals.
We’re unable to accept or use cribs with drop-down sides.